Monday, August 27, 2012

Beer Review: Luscious

Reviewing Luscious from the Alchemist out of Vermont. The Alchemist is best and primarily known for their flagship double IPA, Heady Topper. The genesis of this beer is detailed on the back of the beer label:
"On the evening of August 28th, 2011, I witnessed the destruction of The Alchemist Pub and Brewery. Moments before the flood waters rolled across the dining room floor, I could hear my tanks bobbing against the floor from underneath my feet. 18 tanks of beer were poured down the drain, two survived. Through an unprecedented collaboration of Vermont brewers, I am pleased to offer you a one-of-a-kind beer release."
Score: 86

2011 vintage bottle served in a snifter glass and enjoyed on 06/06/12. A huge thank you to Nick for bringing this to our tasting, and another thank you to Brian for sharing a pour of this with me at Dark Lord Day.

Appearance: Pours a jet black color with a finger of creamy milk chocolate colored head that slowly recedes. Amazing lacing and retention. 5/5

Smell: Milk chocolate, cherry, "musty oak," honey and brown sugary molasses. 4/5

Taste: Cherry covered chocolate, burnt brown sugar, and licorice. Not very complex. Reminds me of aged expedition sans hops. 3.5/5

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, medium carbonation. Over-carbonated, fizzy mouthfeel that finishes mildly sweet. 3/5

Overall: A solid tasting, but incredibly overrated beer that I found to be over-carbonated. Glad to have had the chance to try this beer, but it is not one I will be seeking out again in the future.

Recommendation: In terms of rare beer ticks, this is one I'd suggest forgoing for something better.

Pairings: Brownies.

Cost: $20 for a 22 oz (bomber) bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment