Monday, September 9, 2013

Beer Review: 50°N - 4°E

Reviewing the 50°N - 4°E from Brasserie Cantillon out of Belgium.

Score: 85

2013 vintage bottle served in an Upland snifter and enjoyed on 05/18/13. Review is from iPhone notes

Appearance: Pours a murky golden color with a thin layer of head that quickly settles to a pencil-thin ring around the glass. Below average retention, but good lacing. 4/5

Smell: Resinousy citrus, the traditional Cantillon dustiness, oak, lemon zest and a hint of vinegar. Some "hop familiar" qualities too, but not "hoppy." 4.25/5

Taste: Not very tart at all, more saison-like than what I expected. Not in your face intense with flavor either, but complex with delicate funky qualities. There is a solid medley of lemon zest, ample cognac, oak, mineral water, and a little earthy funk and plastic in finish. Has some flavor similarities to Cantillon's Classic Gueuze sans the tartness, but reminds me more of the Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru. As it warms up, it gets slightly tarter and gains a distinct vinousness and fermented grape flavor. 3.5/5

Mouthfeel: Medium-light bodied, minimal carbonation. Light tartness. Vinous. 3.5/5

Overall: A solid beer that did not live up to its reputation for me. I was expecting something much different -- something more flavorful, carbonated, tart and less earthy. This brew reminded me of a vinous Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru by the time it warmed up. While the complex delicateness was nice, I found this brew lacking in comparison to most other Cantillons I have had. I was quite glad for the opportunity to tick this one, but 50°N - 4°E is not a beer I would seek out in hindsight.

Cost: $30 for a 750 ml bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment