Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Beer Review: Miles Davis Bitches Brew

Reviewing the Miles Davis Bitches Brew from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery.
Score: 94

I was extremely excited to try this one. Dogfish Head stopped distributing to Wisconsin, and this is a beer that is only sold once a year and sold out within two hours of being put on the shelf at most stores. A hearty thank you to my Chicago friends for picking me up a couple of bottles!

2011 bottle (3rd batch) served in a snifter glass.

Appearance: Black as midnight and opaque. Pours two fingers of brown, bubbly head that takes a long time to settle. As you drink it, the beer leaves a nice brown lacing on the side of the glass. 5/5

Smell: Sweet honey and molasses with toasted malt aromas. Silky milk chocolate as well. Slightly minty, berry-like and subtle hop aromas. Creamy milk chocolate becomes more apparent as the beer warms. 4.5/5

Taste: Very sweet, silky and complex. There are some flavors I cannot put my finger on because they all work so well together and are more subtle than pronounced. Honey, silky chocolate and slightly piney hops are most apparent. The finish is smooth, roasted coffee. None of the flavors are individually too aggressive or strong, and they all mix with a good synergy that keeps the beer incredibly balanced. 9.0% ABV completely hidden. My only criticism of this beer is that I wish the finish would linger longer, though I hardly consider that much of a criticism at all. 4.5/5

Mouthfeel: Thick and viscous; about as full bodied as a stout gets. Minimal carbonation. I wonder if I could chew this beer. This one's a filling dessert. 4.5/5

Overall: I never thought I would ever find a Russian Imperial Stout that I enjoyed as much as Barrel Aged Old Rasputin, but this brew gives North Coast a run for its money! The alcohol in this beer is completely hidden behind a wall of berry-mint, honey and roasted malt sweetness. I was fortunate enough to get a couple of bottles of this, so I can't wait to revisit this one after some aging. This will be my reward for passing the bar exam.

Recommendation:
This is one of the best beers that I have ever tasted. Miles Davis Bitches Brew is incredibly complex, flavorful, and balanced. I would absolutely recommend this beer to anyone who can get their hands on it.

Pairings: Dogfish Head recommends chili or curry, but I could see this going great with chocolate ganache/mousse or warm chocolate cake. I drank this while eating some milk chocolate, and that paired wonderfully. Graham crackers might make an interesting pairing as well. Then again, Bitches Brew could be enjoyed as a dessert in its own right. Should certainly be enjoyed with the eponymous album playing in the background!

Cost: $10.99 for a 750 ml wine bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment