Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Beer Review: Temptation (Batch 6)

Reviewing the Temptation (Batch 6) from Russian River Brewing Company.
Score: 91

Batch #6. Brewed on 05/10/09 and bottled on 08/08/11. Served in a Surly Darkness snifter and enjoyed on 03/20/12.

Appearance: Pours an incredibly hazy golden color with a half finger of bubbly white head that settles into a bubble ring around the glass. Above average lacing, poor retention. 4/5

Smell: Chardonnay, white wine, oak, fizzy light fruit, rose petal, light "Brett" and only a hint of sweaty sock funk and vinegar once it reaches room temperature. Very light hint of yeast. Surprisingly pleasant. 4.5/5

Taste: Sweet white wine/Chardonnay flavor and fruit. Moderate tartness that grows as the beer warms. Some light wheat, oak and a growing modicum of sweet vinegar. There is a light "funk" when it hits room temperature, but this beer is surprisingly balanced. No real pucker or cringe, which I am enjoying. 4/5

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, high carbonation. Smooth, sugary and crisp. 4.5/5

Overall: At least at this point in my beer journey, I hate sour. Alas, I legitimately enjoyed this beer. I would certainly come back to this one again. Thank you slvrmon82 and n00b BIF for hooking me with a sour I did not hate.

Recommendation: This is a good beer for fans of white wines and a good "starter sour" for folks like myself that despise sours.

Pairings: Chicken Parmesan.

Cost: $12.99 for a 355 ml bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment