Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Beer Review: Barrel-Aged Sodom

Reviewing the Barrel-Aged Sodom from Revolution Brewing Company.
Score: 90

6 oz tap pour served in a plastic cup (the top cup) at the grand opening of Revolution's new brewing/canning facility and enjoyed on 05/25/12. Review is from iPhone notes.

Appearance: Jet black. Served with a thin layer of creamy milk chocolate/brown-colored head that settles to a ring around the glass. Good lacing and retention. 4/5

Smell: Milk chocolate, figs, and fudged-dipped cherries. Toffee, sweet bourbon, and molasses. A little oaky vanilla and caramel malt to boot. 4/5

Taste: Dark chocolate covered cherries, caramel and fig. More sweet molasses flavor on the tongue than in the nose. Gets "syrupier" in flavor and mouthfeel as it warms. 4/5

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, minimal carbonation. Syrupy mouthfeel. Slightly sweet finish. 4.5/5

Overall: I am not exactly sure why I am tasting/smelling so much cherry flavor, as it does not seem as though any other prior reviewer detected the same. Who knows -- maybe I was served the wrong beer. Either way, I enjoyed this one -- though I felt it was quite a bit over-hyped.

Recommendation: Worth seeking out to be sure, but this is not one of Revolution's best barrel-aged beers. I chose a shot at this over Gravedigger Billy after waiting in line for half an hour (since I had had the Gravedigger Billy several times before), but I would probably not do that again.

Pairings: Steak.

Cost: $4 for a 6 oz pour at the Revolution grand opening party.

No comments:

Post a Comment