Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Beer Review: Weegene London Porter

Reviewing the Weegene London Porter from Revolution Brewing Company. This review is from notes taken at the brewpub. The menu indicates that this is "a 'not so small' beer brewed using the 2nd runnings of wort after collecting the super concentrated liquid to brew the Hugene Imperial Porter."
Score: 78

Tap pour served in a 4 oz taster glass as part of a beer flight on New Years Day (01/01/12). Weegene is the second beer from the right. Review is from notes.

Appearance: Color is dark brown/black with ruby highlights around the edges. Served with no head save for a thin tan colored ring of around the glass. Looks light a slightly "lighter" in color version of Hugene. I can not really divine much lacing from a taster glass, but I think there is some splotchy lacing. I could be wrong. 3.5/5

Smell: Roasted malts, creamy malts, a little chocolate and smokiness. Also detecting light hops hints of toffee. 3.5/5

Taste: Roasted, slightly creamy chocolate and lightly spiced hops. A thin, watery mouthfeel washes away most of the flavor before I can nuance it. 3/5

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with mild carbonation. Overly thin, watery body seemingly negates the creamy aspects of the beer. 2.5/5

Overall: A ho-hum porter in my view, though, upon reflection, perhaps I simply do not like English style porters -- which, at least to me, tend to be thinner on the mouthfeel and lighter on the "flavor." I am glad I did not order a full glass of this, as was my original intention.

Recommendation: You can skip this beer. Revolution makes much better beers, including the Hugene and always available, super roasty Eugene porter.

Pairings: Lighter chocolate cake.

Cost: $2 for a taster, $5 for a pint.

No comments:

Post a Comment