Sunday, December 11, 2011

Beer Review: Cerise

Reviewing the Cerise from Founders Brewing Company.
Score: 75

2011 bottle served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy reddish-orange, almost like a fancy iced tea of sorts with a tiny layer of fizzy head that totally disappears. Minimal lacing. 3/5

Smell: Malty, tart cherries. Ripe fruit, a little floral. 3/5

Taste: Cherries up front, then sour raspberry candy. Sweet, sugary and a little tart. Ripe fruit in the center. Very crisp, refreshing and straight forward. No alcohol presence. 3/5

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, high carbonation. Finish is crisp and sugar-sweet. 3/5

Overall: Too sugary-sweet for my taste. Not a big fan of beers that taste like candy. I said I'd never find a Founders beer I did not enjoy, and I have tried to avoid this one for years, but it was inevitable that I would have to face it one of these days. Could be worse, I suppose.

Recommendation: A good beer for people who do not particularly care much for beer. Beer geeks can safely avoid. If you like tart candied fruit in your beer, I suggest seek out the the Madame Rose.

Pairings: Salad.

Cost: $3.19 for a single, $10.99 for a four pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment