Monday, January 2, 2012

Beer Review: The Bandit

Reviewing The Bandit from Revolution Brewing Company.
Score: 86

Tap pour served in a pint glass. Forgot to snap a picture of my pint, but I took a picture of the sample I had as part of a five beer flight before hand (pictured to the right).

Appearance: Deep brown color. Largely opaque with caramel colored highlights at the top and bottom of the body. Creamy tan head settles into a thin ring around the glass. Solid lacing. 3.5/5

Smell: Peaty rye and hickory. Light chocolate. This one smells like a campfire. 3.5/5

Taste: Imagine turning a campfire aroma into a drinkable liquid. That is this beer. Tons of smokey hickory throughout with hints of smoked turkey and ham. A little dark fruit and some rye/toasted spice. Light roasted chocolate and smoked hickory finish. 4/5

Mouthfeel: Creamy mouthfeel. Medium bodied with low carbonation. Leaves a spiced smoke finish. 3.5/5

Overall: A very solid tasting smoked beer. Smoked beers are an interesting style that I have only had a few of. Some may not like it because it is very smoky, but I enjoy that peaty sensation. Be forewarned, this beer is a palate killer, so do not order it first. I do not think The Bandit was as good as the New Glarus Unplugged Smoked Rye ale, but I could easily order another one of these if it's still on tap next time I go to Revolution.

Recommendation: If you do not mind smoky flavors, then I highly encourage you to try this unique brew.

Pairings: Pulled pork or smoked turkey sandwich on rye bread.

Cost: $6 for a pint.

No comments:

Post a Comment