Sunday, January 8, 2012

Beer Review: Corona Extra and Corona Light

Greetings from Mexico! I swear that I am relaxing. However, I thought that while I am here, I would review some of the local brews I had access to, so…

Reviewing Corona Extra and Corona Light side by side! Both are brewed by Grupo Modelo S.A. de C.V., the same people who brew Modelo and Pacifico.
Corona Extra Score: 15
Corona Light Score: 35

My Corona Extra (left) was a tap pour served in a plastic cup. My Corona Light (right) came from a can, served in what looks like a pilsner glass of sort. Do not ask why one is in a plastic cup because there is no rhyme or reason behind it.

Appearance (Corona Extra): Pours a pretty transparent yellow, honey-brown color – almost cider like – with just under a half finger of frothy white head that dissipates into a lacing atop the beer. Come to think of it, this beer looks more like vitamin-heavy urine. Average lacing. 1.5/5

Appearance (Corona Light): Pours a much brighter yellow color than the Corona Extra, almost like a pinot (white wine). Thin layer of bubbly white head on pour that quickly settles into nothing. Below average lacing. 1/5
______

Smell (Corona Extra): Limes, corn and a little grain. A little “skunky” funk to the hops aroma. Has a light, acidic “white wine” aroma. 1/5

Smell (Corona Light): Still getting lime, but no real “skunky” hops funk. Perhaps because there is less of a skunked hops funk, I am also detecting more of the “white wine” aroma that I detected in the Corona Extra. Lighter corn/grains smell. Very flat. 1.5/5
______

Taste (Corona Extra): OK. If the aroma did not give this away, this beer is skunked. That seems a little odd, since it came from a keg…Besides the signature “Heineken flavor” (pre-skunked beer), I am also detecting a little lime and a lot of corn. The corn is a little malty. Also getting some stainless steel flavor. 1/5

Taste (Corona Light): Very crisp lime and corn flavor. Refreshing. No real linger, and a much subtler stainless steel flavor. 1.5/5
______

Mouthfeel (Corona Extra): Light bodied, low-medium carbonation. Honestly surprised by how little carbonation there is. Finish is pungent and acidic. 1/5

Mouthfeel (Corona Light): Light bodied, high-medium carbonation. Slightly bitter and acidic finish. 1/5
______

Overall: There is a reason the Bloody Mary is my drink of choice on vacation. Maybe a bad keg biased my Corona Extra experience, but this is my only Corona Extra experience and it was pretty unbearable. I wanted to drain pour it, but I do not think that you can do that in a pool. The Corona Light was a serious step up, but that’s not saying much. I really cannot say that I will ever drink either beer again. Ever. Seriously. I’d honestly rather drink a Keystone Light. USA! USA! USA!

Recommendations: Do not drink this stuff. It is objectively less “tasty” than Miller Lite. Casual beer drinkers should be ashamed.

Pairings: Lime wedge.

Cost: $12.99 for a 12 pack of either.

No comments:

Post a Comment